Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Nostalgic Notes

Yesterday turned out to be a bit of a walk down memory lane.
Nickelodeon is doing a "The 90s are All That" block of shows on their Teen Nick channel and airing some of their most popular shows from the 1990s. Last night I tuned in to see "All That" (still funnier than just about any SNL show I've seen), "Kenan and Kel", and two of my absolute favorite shows from my childhood: "Clarissa Explains It All" and "Doug"!

I knew it would be nostalgic, but I didn't anticipate just how nice it would be to see them again. It really took me back. I kind of freaked out in squeals when the "Clarissa" theme song started. Wow, it's been a long time since I heard it! Yet, it was all so familiar.
During the commercial breaks, they showed clips from other popular Nick shows (such as "Legends of the Hidden Temple" or "Are You Afraid of the Dark") as well as some of their little in-between-show jingles and short cartoons (Remember "Inside Out Boy", Stick Stickley the popsicle stick, or the large opera singer with large hair belting out, "Nickelodeooonnnnnn!!!" before a show started? Great stuff!).

Apparently, Teen Nick will be doing this every weeknight at Midnight (11pm central). I am really hoping that after they go through all the episodes of the four shows they are currently showing, that they will start showing some of my other favorites like "Hey Dude"! They showed some very quick clips from that last night, and it was such a tease! It was definitely one of my favorites growing up.

Watching these shows really helped me to remember the simple, everyday stuff I miss about living back then and being that age. At the same time, it unexpectedly made me feel like I'm really not that far away from those days. It was a really, really comforting feeling.
So, don't forget to set your DVR for these shows, especially if you're not a night owl! I fully intend to sometimes save episodes until the mornings so I can wake up, pour a bowl of cereal, and sit crossed legged in front of the TV to watch them. Just like old times. :)



We haven't changed that much...have we?


The funny thing is, I had spent the whole day beforehand cleaning out my closet (it's actually a walk-in again. Meaning, you can see the floor), where I found some nostalgic items such as my old piano music books, photo albums, and one of my favorite book series from when I was about 12 years old. I swear, most of what takes up room in my closet is boxes and boxes of mementos, but I refuse to throw them out. It's so fun to go through them every now and then. I just need to attempt to keep it all organized and everything IN its proper box, and then it shouldn't be a problem. I was also able to transfer certain everyday things over to the spare room closet (vacuum cleaner, folded up air mattress, Christmas decorations...) that I really just don't have room for in there. It's not perfect, but it looks a lot better. Soon, I'd like to get some of those pretty storage boxes to really take it to the next level. Today, I tackle the actual bedroom; decluttering my dresser, desk, and nightstand...inside and out. Wish me luck.

Steve and I also decided to break in our new tennis gear after he got home from work yesterday evening. I used to play tennis a lot when I was younger, with my mom, and even took tennis classes at summer camp when I was about 8 years old. It felt great to be playing again and definitely brought back some memories.




Maybe it's just about keeping a happy medium between being a kid and being an adult. :) What do you think?

Photo credits: All photos from the amazing http://favim.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment