Friday, January 28, 2011

Austin-inspired

In Austin, breakfast burritos are all the rage. I wasn't really sure what all the fuss was about when I first moved here, but I've now tried them a couple times at different restaurants and they really are quite good. I tend to like mine simple. Unlike many people I've met in the south, there are just some condiments I don't consider to be "breakfast friendly" (read: ketchup, salsa, pickles, and so on...). I have, however, been "corrupted" into seeing the benefit in using salsa as a topping for eggs in very specific circumstances, and the breakfast burrito is one of them. Here's a super simple (and good-for-you!) recipe, which you can make at home in about 5 minutes! Great before heading to work, or for a healthy, energizing meal after your trip to the gym. Read on!


Everything you need! Substitues are easy, but I used: one egg (Eggland's Best with extra Omega 3), shredded cheese (Monterey Jack and Cheddar mix), and salsa (I like brands with simple ingredients - no extra salt, etc. Just veggies!), and a medium whole wheat tortilla (flour torillas work, too, but I actually like the wheat kind better with eggs).


I coat the pan with a calorie-free "butter" non-stick spray or a tiny bit of Smart Balance spread. I've started lightly stirring and scrambling my eggs after they are in the pan (rather than mixing them up in a bowl first), because it creates that nice swirl of white and yellow in the egg.  Flip half way through, cook thoroughly.


Add cheese and salsa to taste (you really don't have to go overboard with cheese for it to taste good). Wrap it up, pair it with a cup of coffee, and you're good to go!

Any easy breakfast ideas you'd like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment