Monday, May 23, 2011

Uncommon weekend

 How was your weekend? I would have to say, mine was one of the most fun I've had in a long time, and I've had a string of pretty awesome weekends lately, so that's saying something! We were really able to fill it with some of our favorite Austin staples, including cheesesteaks from Texadelphia on Friday night:

The "South Philly" with chicken instead of steak, red and green peppers, mushrooms, and white cheese sauce. On the side, their amazing creamy spicy mustard. Steve always gives me his, because he doesn't like it. I dip every bite in it. Yum!

Saturday afternoon, my boyfriend and I headed downtown to browse some of the second hand/vintage shops on South Congress Ave., which has a whole strip of adorable little shops, restaurants, and snack trailers. On the weekends, there are also tables and booths set up with vendors selling jewelry and other handmade crafts.

 I wanted to wear something as quirky, yet laid back as S. Congress is! I folded this sundress down to become a long skirt, and tied this top in a knot (in the front) and tucked it under for a little crop-top. I finished it off with flip flops and some "big hair". The outfit also kept me cool in the humid weather that day.

 It was so difficult not to buy everything. I'm still swooning over a cream colored 1960s sofa, a 1950's kelly green arm chair, and a 1940s Hollywood regency style chaise lounge (in rose pink!) that I saw at Uncommon Objects. This shop is stuffed to the corners with anything and everything vintage you could imagine, from photographs, to clothing, to typewriters, to old convenient store signage, to jewelry. I fell in love with a black top hat from the 1800s. It even had a name and address written on the inside of it! I Googled it and tried to get some information on who the man might have been, but unfortunately, I wasn't able to find anything.

 Inside the 1800s top hat.

Another highlight was a clothing store (not second hand, but definitely vintage inspired) called The Impeccable Pig ("the name fits me already", I thought, as we walked up to the door). Their clothing was absolutely gorgeous and very unique. It definitely had a vintage feel, but the items were perfectly modern at the same time. I wish I had tried some stuff on and gotten Steve to take some snapshots of my favorites. My goal is to go back there when I get my job promotion later in the year and have a little shopping spree. This place wasn't exactly cheap, but it'd be worth a splurge in the future.

My real goal for going downtown was to pick up a few trinkets or some wall art for my living room. I am gradually trying to fill my painfully empty walls! The name of the store eludes me now, but we came across some posters for music gigs that had happened in Austin. We found one from a Wallflowers gig in 2002 and The Black Crowes in 1999. 
On the way back, we stopped by Walmart and just got some simple black frames for the posters (just $4 each) and immediately hung them over the fireplace when we got home. I love the new, edgier look for the living room! So much more fun than the old horse painting I had up there forever.

I can't wait to get some more edgy or vintage art up on these walls! I broke down and ordered a couple vintage posters online, too, which should arrive in just a few days. By the end of June, I think we will have all the major areas filled with art. I'm excited! The place is looking great so far, and when it's just a little more put together, I'll be posting plenty of photos. I'm resisting the urge to do a blog post on every tiny thing I add!


 Written on the side of a coffee shop on S. Congress Ave., downtown Austin.


Sunday was a little more low key. We enjoyed the cozy-cloudy weather from indoors, and curled up on the couch to watch a Harry Potter movie marathon on TV. I also indulged my new obsession with Etsy.com and browsed a lot of their vintage furniture, clothing, and housewares. It's an addiction! I'd love to get some elegant little vintage tea cups, and I'm considering some beautiful handmade drink coasters I found, which we need around here anyway!
We stayed lazy for dinner and ordered delivery from a nearby Thai restaurant (I was having a rare craving). It was absolutely delicious, and while my noodles were super spicy with curry sauce, I couldn't stop eating! It's definitely healthy-diet time again until Vegas on Wednesday!

I hope your weekend was as nice as mine was! Any stories to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment