Friday, August 12, 2011

Bedroom: Before and After

I tackled the challenge of totally cleaning out and organizing my bedroom recently. It's been taking me a while to decide what I want to do with the room, decorating-wise, but I knew having it de-cluttered would probably help with some inspiration and make the space more livable in the meantime! It was actually very therapeutic to go through every drawer and come across so many mementos from my past. I'm a really sentimental person, so I don't like to throw much away. I was proud of how much I actually decided to let go of though, and the rest (which, admittedly, was still a lot) went into the large keepsake boxes in my closet. My boyfriend actually has a full nightstand drawer to himself now!

So, the goal was really to clean out or store things I don't use often and make the things I do use more accessible and organized. In addition to that, I finally moved my big, long work table into the guest room, which I had used as my desk back when I used to do packaging/distribution tasks as part of my job. Since then, it more accurately became a place to dump junk that I didn't know what else to do with. Not cute. There really wasn't space for it in my room anyway, but I didn't have anywhere else to put it until recently. In its place, we put a TV table that we obtained for free (we are going to line it with fabric to cover the clinical-looking legs) and a small filing cabinet - perfect for organizing all the important papers that were cluttering up my desk!

The room looks so much more open and clean. I'm really happy with it. Here are some before and after shots:


 An eyesore of a work table (with inventory boxes from work underneath! Ack.), and the clutter 
made its way over to my dresser as well.

My dresser is now just that: a dresser. And no more squeezing furniture where it doesn't really fit!

 This tray used to be over on the desk that belongs to my bedroom set, filled with dust and random stuff I never even used. I cleaned it all out and used it to organize the beauty products and jewelry that used to be strewn all over my dresser. It works perfectly, and there's even a place to hold my sunglasses.

 My actual bedroom desk can now be used as a desk. I hope to find some more attractive things to fill the shelves, as we begin re-decorating the room. 

 I do like the area where I have notebooks, journals, and small keepsake boxes, plus my place card from a wedding
reception I attended a couple years ago.


I got this accent pillow from Target a few months ago with the intention of putting it on the sofa. Steve and I decided it looked much better on the bed. The cream and brown bedding, while sort of calming, will 
definitely be going away when we re-decorate.

Just over the last few days, I think Steve and I have settled on an absolutely gorgeous idea for how we want to decorate the bedroom. I'm really excited about it. It probably wont be done for a couple months, but I'll be sure to post about it as soon as it's photograph-worthy!

So, what do you think? Have you tackled any crazy organizing jobs lately? I need all the stay-organized tips I can get. Hope your Friday goes by quick and you have a fabulous weekend! xx

1 comment:

  1. It looks really good! I really like the TV stand and everything! Good job!

    ReplyDelete