Monday, August 8, 2011

Weekend Highlights

Steve took me out for an official date night on Friday, which was really sweet. I love an excuse to get dolled up! We go out a good amount and always have a great time together, but it's nice when he just says "I'm taking you out Friday night" and has a whole bunch of great ideas of what we're going to do. Ladies, don't forget to do this for your man occasionally, too! Just make sure your plans are full of stuff they like to do. :)

We started the evening with dinner at NoRTH, a modern Italian restaurant. The food was absolutely amazing, plus we had wonderful service. We'll definitely be going back sometime.
I had their seared scallops, with corn risotto and braised leeks with a "white truffle essence" (very "mah-ve-lous, dah-ling", don't you think?). I wanted to try something a little out of my comfort zone, and I'm so glad I did. Steve got the "Bucatini" pasta dish with red sauce and braised, boneless short ribs. The meat was so tender and had a great flavor. For an appetizer, we ordered their bruschetta. It had Crescenza cheese (totally a new favorite of mine, but apparently very hard to find), prosciutto (my first time!), and asparagus on Ciabatta bread (LOVE!). Our server described the dish as "Heaven on a plate". I can't think of a better way to say it.

NoRTH also had a great cocktail menu. I'd love to go back even for just a happy hour drink sometime. The ones Steve and I chose were just delicious. I got the Botanical (gin and tonic with fresh terragon and cucumber). He tried the Blackberry Fix (rum and crushed blackberries over crushed ice). It was hard to decide which was better, and they looked gorgeous!

 "Hmm...what should I order tonight?"....."OH MY GOSH, I CAN'T DECIDE!!!!" 
(Haha, actually, I have no idea what I was doing here. I do take ages to order 
whenever I'm at a restaurant though. It's a problem.)

 After dinner, we headed downtown to see a show at Esther's Follies, a musical comedy club. I was pleasantly surprised how funny it was, and I liked the fact that it wasn't too over-the-top and full of inappropriate over acting, as sometimes these kind of shows tend to be. The comedy was pretty clever, much of it poignant to current events, and some of the skits involving magic tricks were almost good enough to impress Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman (if you don't get that, Google it. Then rent the movie immediately). ;) All in all, it was really enjoyable. I'd love to take some family members next time they come in for a visit.

 Sitting in the lobby at intermission. The whole place is decorated like a vintage aquarium. Really beautiful!

After the show, we walked down to Halcyon, an eclectic, yet laid back coffee shop/bar. I had every intention of getting another cocktail, but when I walked in, the smell of espresso completely took me over. Steve suggested I make things easy and get a chocolate espresso martini, which I did. Completely hit the spot. 



We got comfy on one of the couches (I'd changed into flats by this point!) and enjoyed chatting and people watching. A lovely way to end the night. Although, technically, our night continued a bit longer with a stop at our usual karaoke bar on the way home. No wonder I'm exhausted today. And this was just Friday.

Other weekend activities included attending a surprise engagement brunch for two friends and a usual wandering session around stores like Target...

 An ice cream sandwich pillow!!

Trying on the leopard print heels again that I can't get out of my mind....annnd, I finally bought 'em!

However, the biggest thing we accomplished this weekend was buying supplies and painting a colorful accent wall in the living room! I am really loving it. I will be doing a separate post on that whole adventure, so stay tuned!

 Weekend: 1 
Jennifer: 0

I'm doing my best to get myself kicked into gear this Monday. How is yours going? Any weekend stories? Hope you have a lovely week! xx

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good weekend! Can't wait to see the new paint job!

    ReplyDelete